Savvy job seekers know they should ask questions before they hire a professional resume writer, but first timers may not know what to ask. Here’s my handy guide so that you can decide which writer will best suit your needs and budget.
1. What kind of experience do you have with my occupation?
2. Can you provide me with references?
3. Are you a member of any professional organizations?
4. Do you have any credentials or certifications?
5. Have you attended any professional conferences in the past year or taken any online coursework to further your career?
6. Have you won any awards for your work?
7. What is the procedure?
8. Can I get an electronic copy of the resume?
9. Do you accept major credit cards?
10. What if I’m not happy with your work?
11. How much do you charge?
Now that you’ve asked all the questions, consider how your prospective writer answered them. Did they get defensive, or give you answers that generated discomfort? Trust your gut feeling. Most of all, it’s important that you click with your writer and trust him or her.
–Susan Geary, CERW / 1st Rate Resumes