Jobs are much like dating. At first you find yourself attracted to the position, or person, then you start flirting, and the next thing you know you’re in a relationship. With every relationship, is the honeymoon stage. That’s where you’re over the top with one another. But once you get settled in, anything can happen.
Perhaps boredom sets in, and the relationship is no longer exciting. Or maybe there’s a fatal flaw that you realize you don’t like. At any rate, there are tell tale signs in the workplace when you discover the polish has come off the apple.
The signs include:
1. Not being included in pertinent meetings or emails that directly affect your job. Everyone else seems to know what’s going on, except you.
2. Little to no eye contact when he or she speaks to you. They may be cordial, but if they have a hard time looking you in the eye, something’s up.
3. They don’t say good morning or acknowledge your presence, but everyone else gets a warm welcome.
4. They stop complimenting your work.
5. Your gut feeling tells you something’s up, even though you can’t figure out why.
Let’s face it. You can’t get along with everyone. That’s fact of life. But if you’re showing up on time, doing the job you were paid to do, there’s not much you can do about it. Office politics will prevail. Keep your resume up to date, And keep perusing the want ads. Just in case.